On 6 February 2012 04:35, Erik Christiansen <dva...@internode.on.net> wrote:
> Granted, if I had them ingrained in my brain, after decades of use, I
> would not change either. There is no reason to. An optional input filter
> only provides flexibility to anyone wanting more. The filter I'm playing
> with will offer decluttered old syntax, and a more human readable form.
> Should it be completed, its use is discretionary.

I think that any existing and working file with the .ngc extension has
to carry on working, but if folk want to smarten up the interpreter to
work without <> tags and O-numbers in the control structures, that
seems fair.

However I see no reason why we shouldn't consider starting from
scratch with a new machine-control language, possibly based on Python
syntax. I would prefer to see that translated directly into motion
commands in LinuxCNC rather than into any sort of G-code, though.

However, fun though that might be, I doubt it would reach completion,
or gain any sort of market acceptance outside a very small subset of
LinuxCNC users, and almost certainly wouldn't expand outside our
project.

--
atp
The idea that there is no such thing as objective truth is, quite simply, wrong.