On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 10:03:20 +0200, you wrote:

>However, fun though that might be, I doubt it would reach completion,
>or gain any sort of market acceptance outside a very small subset of
>LinuxCNC users, and almost certainly wouldn't expand outside our
>project.

Agreed - May be interesting as an academic exercise, but has little
practical merit.

Fanuc style or RS274 Gcode is pretty much universally understood, quite
a lot of minor variations, but the majority of code is easily
translatable from one controller type to another. It doesn't take much
effort or academic aptitude to grasp. I honestly can't see the point in
trying to reinvent the wheel?

Steve Blackmore