I am not so sure about the parallel port and encoder idea though, the
encoders I see are up to 1000 per rev, that requires a pretty fast base
period to handle that, not?  <2us ?

I also am not very clear on emc2 capability to manage analog inputs, it
seems easier to offload the deciding to an external mcu of some sort.
Also, how would emc2 handle encoders with steppers?