On Mon, 6 Feb 2012, Erik Friesen wrote:

> Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 17:57:10 -0500
> From: Erik Friesen <e...@aercon.net>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Control board
>
> The mesa card looks interesting to me.  The catch is, how is one going to
> go about doing spi and pulling the data into emc2?

There is FPGA firmware support for SPI with up 16 channels and up to 32 bits
of data/channel and clocklow/2 = 16.666 or ~25 MHz)

There is also HostMot2 driver support for the SPI firmware
(in LinuxCNC 2.5 or >)

I assume everything
> would have to be bit banged, and is not taken care of in the fpga.  It also
> says it has quadrature encoder interface, but once again, how is this
> handled?  If this was handled with a accessible register, that would work
> pretty well.

Its fully supported by the HostMot2 driver.

if you have a running LinuxCNC system type:

man hostmot2

for Mesa HostMot2 driver/firmware capabilities on your system

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)