My current spindle is very low tech, a bosch colt.  I would use a 4-20ma
amp donut, perhaps wind a couple extra loops.

I'll have to think this over a bit. It is one thing to write a driver when
you have complete docs, yet another when you have to search so many places
for all the information.

Managing this with a pic32 would be a piece of cake, its just the dev time
that holds me back.