On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 09:18 +0200, Roland Jollivet wrote:
... snip
> So now the one half becomes a motion controller, nestled in the guts of the
> machine, as it should be, and the other half can be on a boom or at a desk.
> I see Kirk was going this way in 2007, but I don't know if he completed it.
> So it can probably be done art the moment, but I mean doing it as a
> strategy, in the sense that it becomes the norm.
>
> Regards
> Roland

I have been arguing this point for a while now, but when it comes down
to it, it's not that hard or expensive to put together a single PC
system that works fine for any machine I might want to build. There
really isn't a strong reason to go through the effort when a change or
two to the PC hardware should make it work fine.

One thing that is fairly easy to do, is run LinuxCNC from a remote PC,
with VNC or an ssh/X session. This way the LinuxCNC PC can be in the
machine's electronics cabinet and the user interface PC in front of the
machine, or additionally in your office.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html