Bart Libert (EducaSoft) wrote:
> Dear guys (and possibly girls, why not)
>
> I have a question which may sound quite newbie, but I can assure I'm
> not newbie at all (just newbie in this matter :)
>
> I am currently building a laser cutter machine and for that I will
> need to be able to output pulses between 25kHz and 50kHz  (50kHz would
> be the max but would be nice to be achievable)
>
> Now I tried this with EMC on a very high end machine I have here (A
> Dual Xeon quadcore machine on a serverboard) and emc is aproximately
> capable of doing it.

Mesa and Pico Systems (me) have boards that generate step pulses and/or
pulse width modulated pulses in hardware.  The Pico Systems Universal
Stepper Controller can generate up to 300,000 steps/second on each
of 4 axes simultaneously.  The timing of the steps is programmed (by
LinuxCNC) in 100 ns increments, so at 50,000 steps/sec (50 KHz)
you have a granularity of 1/2 %.  Using software to generate step
pulses, the granularity will be vastly higher, and this can lead to
stalls of stepping motors.  By relieving the computer of the load
of making each step pulse, even a very low-performance computer
plus the step generator board can run rings around your $4K machine.

See
http://pico-systems.com/osc2.5/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=30
for more info.

Jon