On 4 March 2012 23:49, Bart Libert (EducaSoft) <educas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> and doesn't it make a problem then that my pc has a maximum jitter of
> around 45000 ?
>
> My expensive one seems to be lucky as he stays very low in jitter, but
> the cheap ones I have go upto 45000 in jitter.

You are making the false assumption that the differing performance of
the two machines is related to their price, whereas it is completely
unconnected.
One of the very best performers for latency with LinuxCNC is the Intel
D525MW motherboard, and that is about $80 (processor included). This
has a jitter well under 10,000nS (and can be tweaked to <5000).
I think that you could achieve your stated requirements with one of
these boards and the onboard parallel port.

However, I would suggest that the Pico USC (if you have a PC with an
EPP-capable parallel port) or Mesa 5i25 mated to the 7i76 interface
board (if you have an available PCI slot) would give you a more
capable and flexible system.

However, I would still be suggesting the D525 motherboard, as it is a
known-good board, with EPP-capable port in a small form factor. Just
mount it in the same box as all the other components and treat it as
yet another part of the system, and not a PC.

--
atp
The idea that there is no such thing as objective truth is, quite simply, wrong.