Jack Coats wrote:
> IEFBR14 was my favorite utility.  That, the internal card reader and
> dependent job control (in JES2 and JES3), were my favorite utilities
> and features back in the MVS days.  I did start with MFT and HASP.
> Once I finally understood JCL as a real language, it became as
> powerful as any other language, and could do things others couldn't
> (or would be harder to use for the purpose).
>
> Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

Memory?  No, they call that "storage".
> (Yes, I am still a geek.  Finally of retirement age.  I purchased an
> Altair 8800 with my first 'real job' paycheck after college.  And so
> much more money has gone down the computer rat hole since... I don't
> want to think about it!)

Yup, built an 8008 CPU with 256 bytes of memory in 1976 or so.  Then built
an S-100 system, upgraded to Z-80 and used that for a while.  Built a 32-bit
bit-slice cpu with 96-bit control store width which worked, but never
got much
microcode written.  Then had an opportunity to "borrow" a microvax that
had been
smashed in shipment, but still worked.  When I had to give it back I
went out and
bought a microvax, board by board from brokers and was in HEAVEN!  This
was in 1986.
I upgraded it a couple times, and finally retired it a couple years
ago.  it was
completely obsolete by that time, of course.  But, it ran some environmental
monitoring tasks around my house for the last decade or so.

Jon