the machines i work with only have tape drives and serial ports, so all cam
files are sent over serial lines as text (ascii i think).  failed controller
component replacement is a problem because the hardware platform does not have
long term stability.  it seems that is an essential quality of the pc realm -
it is goverened by fashion and fleeting lust for market fads.

who knows, maybe cartesian coordinates will eventually go out of style.