On Monday, March 12, 2012 03:19:15 AM Michael Haberler did opine:

> Am 12.03.2012 um 02:52 schrieb Steve Blackmore:
> > On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 13:23:06 -0500, you wrote:
> >> I just included it in the Wiki.   I was going to do this a while ago
> >> ... but like other things..
> >>
> >> Here is the link:
> >> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ManualToolChangeMacro
> >>
> >> I included it on the main wiki page - look for "tool change"
> >>
> >> I believe this is accurate.  Several people have used, or actively
> >> use this, and I haven't heard of any issues with it.
> >> I have not used it myself yet.  But I could see where it could be
> >> very useful in certain circumstances.
> >
> > It's absolutely necessary if you use tools in a collet where you can't
> > guarantee the tool length will be the same each time you load it -
> > makes the tool table useless.
> >
> > Other alternative is a separate file per tool which is a very poor
> > solution.
> >
> > Or the smart arse answer given was "build an active tool length sensor
> > and probe it"...
>
> If you had tried my suggestion instead of opining in armchair mode you
> would have figured this wasnt "smart arse" but actually a working
> example, which is trivial to change to touchoff from tool length
> sensor.
>
> -m

And which, if the workpiece is insulated so it can be connected to the
G38.2 probe pin, can be done directly from the pcb itself.  My problems
when doing it that way are related to the head to post ways, which if not
drowned in vactra at the start of each board file, have a tendency to
stiction and move in approximately 0.0015" increments when going down
slowly.  If I move it fairly rapidly when going to cutting height from
clearance height, that is much less of a problem.  The problem does cause
some irregularity when using the G38.2 move to slowly probe the pcb surface
with the tool. It should be worn in by now, but I am beginning to suspect
that gib strip is also bent, there seems to be some springyness to the last
1/8 turn in the gib adjusting screws.

Ditto with the cross slide gib on my lathe, its a long way from dead
straight yet, needs lots more time on a sheet of 600wrd on my surface
plate.  Next time I take it apart, the cross slide itself will also spend
some time there, I think that puppy is warped!  Eventually I hope to get
rid of the rubber under the toolpost holder.  There is more in that QC
holder, and I would love to be able to buy one of those made of steel, the
alu version, even with a hollow machined in the bottom so the bolt actually
does a bit of the bellevue(sp?) washer number to the posts bottom when
pulled down tight, does not stop it from rocking on the compound, and those
alu holders can also spring open, burying the bit in the work just about
the time you are hitting the end of the motors torque making a _real_ cut.
I put out the word over at the landfill a few days back that I am in the
market for a discarded treadmill that I may be able to salvage the motor
and controller from.  Told him the phone call was worth a $20. :)

Buying these toys is very educational because you get the basic castings
without instructions on how to fit them so as to make an actual working
piece of machinery out of them.  It has been shall we say, a continuing
education course, with no promise of a graduation date being scheduled...

I did get the taperlock hub finished and assembled on the lead screw drive
motor yesterday and it appears to be running dead true, with plenty of grip
on the motors shaft to get the job done.  Next is to finish the mount
design so I have a few thou of gear mesh adjustment available.

> > related: using a tool length switch with manual toolchange - see the
> > example in
> >
> > configs/sim/remap/manual-toolchange-with-tool-length-switch/
> >
> > you need to run master for this
> >
> > - Michael
> >
> > Steve Blackmore

Cheers, Gene
Hey, wait a minute!!  I want a divorce!! ... you're not Clint Eastwood!!