On Sat, 17 Mar 2012, Roger Holmquist wrote:

> Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 17:28:05 +0100
> From: Roger Holmquist <ro...@abcnc.se>
> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Trajectory planning and other topics from a
>     EMC(LinuxCNC) newbie (TheNewbie)
>
> Thanks for your responses.
> It seems I have to give LinuxCNC a closer look.
>
> There is a low cost commercial alternative in MACH 3.
> I guess you have an opinions on that system too?
> I know it's based on Windows with some kind of realtime extension who
> doesn't sound too good in ears.
> My impression is that it doesn't look professional after a brief
> examination.
> It also seems to be mainly focused on stepper motor systems who I
> believe is off topic in heavy duty systems.
>
> My assumption about Tarjectory planning was based on Anders Wallins
> message as he mentioned some problem with limited look-ahead,
> I suppose this affects the shape of the calculated path in some cases?
>
> / Roger

I think the issue with lookahead is that LinuxCNC will not move any faster
than is possible with the constraint of being able to stop an the end of the
current move. This is normally a good thing! I dont think this is an issue for
most standard machining but where it is an issue is high speed profiling or
cutting, especially when the CAM program generates the profile as a large
number of straight line segments.

at least thats my (limited) understanding

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics