Is the one-line lookahead statement also true blended paths?
And how does it apply to splines?
I find all this quite surprising, even grbl does lookahead over all the
lines in the buffer (and hence has a latency while trying to pause or stop)

Does somebody know if this diagram is whats linuxcnc does, or if its
just a proposal:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Trapezoidal_Velocity_Profile_Trajectory_Planner
Are there any good theoretical books about trajectory planning/step
generation that somebody could recommend (non-popular, hardcore numerics
preferred)?

Arc fitting is not very easy it seems. Of all the reprap slicers, only
slic3r can create arcs by looking for repetitive segments of same length
and connecting at similar angles . The problem is that the 3d object
itself is defined as stl files, and hence exists only as small patches
of lines after slicing.
And I know of no pcb isolation milling software that creates fitted arcs
(while tracing lines in a 300dpi image).

There are a couple of algorithms for finding the arc, if you know that
some points are supposed to be on an arc. The problem starts when trying
to decide, where arcs start and where they stop optimally.

very nice greetings,
  Bernhard