Well, feel free to ask questions.  The microchip forums can be rather
daunting to get some of the basic questions answered.  At first, the
biggest challenge is just to get a project that will compile.

If you already have a hex file, you can load it into the windows pickit2
loader, and you don't need to run mplab at all.