On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 21:28 +0300, Viesturs Lācis wrote:
> 2012/3/26 Jeshua Lacock <jes...@3dtopo.com>:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am reading conflicting reports about if EMC2 is compatible with Ubuntu
> > 10.10.
> >
> > Can I upgrade the 10.04 system installed from the LinuxCNC live CD to
> > Ubuntu 10.10 without breaking EMC2 and rtai?
> >

> You most definitely _do not_ want to do distribution upgrade, because
> it will change the kernel version, but LinuxCNC is built for
> particular kernel. In other words - default LinuxCNC installation will
> work only with 10.04 and only on default 10.04 kernel.

Just to clarify a little, LinuxCNC uses a Linux kernel that is patched
with RTAI to provide real time functions. If you look in your /boot
directory you should see some files labeled as generic or rtai. By
default, your computer should be set up to boot from the rtai patched
kernel, but if you do a kernel update the new unpatched kernel will be
set as your new default. If you knew how to patch the new kernel and set
up grub, you'd be okay, but then your feet would not touch the ground
when you walk.

If you first install generic Ubuntu 10.04, then use the LinuxCNC script:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Installing_EMC2#On_Ubuntu_10_04_using_precompiled_EMC2_packages

you should get a menu during boot-up allowing you to choose which kernel
to boot from. You should be able to update the generic kernel and keep
the LinuxCNC boot option intact, but I haven't tried this so I'm not
sure.

Extra Bonus Feature:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_2205.html
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_2204.html