On Tuesday, April 10, 2012 09:11:46 AM kqt4a...@gmail.com did opine:

> Y'all have been going on and on about scope isolation
> Please elaborate
> I have a project coming up that is 120vac
> I prefer not to fry me or equipment
>
> Richard

Having fried me on several occasions, I can relate that not only are the
burns slow to heal, they can also trigger a 6 month bout with the shingles.
I don't have an enemy I'd wish that on except one I've already outlived.

My "grounded" scope has the usual power cable equipt with the 3rd, round
pin that is connected directly to earthen ground in the American way of
doing things.  It is a 100mhz, dual trace, partially computerized Hitachi,
and IMNSHO kicks anything Tek made out of the game because after 20+ years,
it is still quite well calibrated.  Not too heavy, its case is a painted
ALU shell that doesn't really try to hide the fact that its grounded.  I
have, on occasion, plugged it into one of the grey adapters to isolate it
from ground, but when its probes are then connected to some non-grounded
point, there is just enough capacitative leakage to effect the circuit
being looked at, so its not exactly a good practice, and if one isn't
careful you could easily be shocked.  Badly...

This little pocket digital scope OTOH, runs on a battery (no connection to
the power line as long as its USB power stealing battery charging cable is
not plugged in) for about 2hrs/charge, and has a plastic case, so the only
places where hooking its probes 'ground' lead up to something hot, making
it hot, are the mini-connector where the probe plugs into the end of it,
and the not well covered end of that little clip lead on the probe.
Everything else is plastic covered & probably trustable to something in
excess of 500 volts, maybe even 2500 but I wouldn't want to be the tester
as I'd lay it on a well insulated surface and push its buttons with a dry
wooden stick while measuring something that 'hot'.

Cheers, Gene
Don't look now, but there is a multi-legged creature on your shoulder.