On Sunday, April 15, 2012 11:55:24 PM Kirk Wallace did opine:

> On Sun, 2012-04-15 at 21:37 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> ... snip
>
> > What happens if the pump frequency is reduced to say 10% of what its
> > set at now?
>
> I haven't tried that. If I disconnect the G540 so there is no load on
> the parallel port pin, the charge pump is a clean square wave. I used
> 10x on the probe, if that makes a difference (I know just enough
> scopenese to get by).
>
> > Looking at the scope traces, either the probe is way out of
> > calibration against the scopes own test square wave, or the 540 has a
> > low value series resistor, 33-120 ohm range, with several hundred pf
> > on the other side of the resistor as a noise filter on that input,
> > and likely on all inputs since engineers have a tendency to 'step &
> > repeat' for that stuff.
>
> I tried to trace the traces on the G540. From the pump input wire
> terminal, the trace goes right to an unmarked SMT capacitor. The other
> side goes to the center of a three pin SMT something-or-other. My guess
> is it is a transistor, maybe. Another of the three pins goes to the
> opto-isolator. I gave up tracing at that point.
>
> > I can't believe you would long tolerate a probe that far out of
> > adjustment Kirk, so that leaves the 540 apparently suffering from way
> > too much noise filtering on that input.  So the pumping frequency is
> > so high the capacitor used for noise filtering never has a chance to
> > either fully charge, or to fully discharge.  So you get insufficient
> > swing.
>
> The G540 manual specs a 10kHz minimum, so the filter doesn't need to
> pass the low end. The large C is a bit of a mystery so far. One thing
> that stands out to me is the rising edge is near vertical until about 2
> Volts then dog legs up. I expected to have a continuous smooth curve
> from O Volts until 5 Volts or when the pin switches.
>
> > So drop the pump frequency to 10-20% of what it is now just for
> > effects, would be my advice.  If it drops out because the pump is
> > then too slow, the 540 needs a redesign tweak, at least according to
> > Gene. :)
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> My favorite fix so far is to recomend a buffer board on the parallel
> port. It's the only thing a user could add that would cover most every
> parallel port and the G540. A user would have a harder time fixing the
> G540 or the port. I need to find a loose buffer card around here and try
> that next. While I'm at it I'll check too see what happens with a slower
> pump.

My fav 'buffer' card ATM, is Arturo Duncans C1G, all opto-isolated with
about a 10 ns relay time, and can src or sink 24 ma on any pin.  Tallying
LED's present on all pins for instant troubleshooting.

<http://www.cnc4pc.org> I think, might be a .com.  I am using one in both
the mill and the lathe.  Once programmed with its flea clips, it Just
Works(TM), with very close to a full 5 volt rail to rail output.  You can
program the inputs to have a pull resistor to either rail.

Cheers, Gene
Doctors and lawyers must go to school for years and years, often with
little sleep and with great sacrifice to their first wives.
                -- Roy G. Blount, Jr.