Peter,

How do the Chinese get stuff into the US so efficiently?
If you look at Ebay they are selling things in the US for less than $10
and offering free delivery!
I ordered some cables once - about $100 worth - and the guy shipped them
express mail from China for about $20.  This was probably two years ago
or so.  I had the cables 2 or 3 days later.    There is no way I could
ship the same package to China for $20.

Ironically, I was considering buying a mill from Canada - probably 2000
lbs or so (I'm about 100 miles from Canada) but the red tape that was
required to get it across the border was severe - and the US customs
people would not give me a straight answer even when I called them on
the phone several times.   It was really bad.  So I abandoned the
purchase.   So much for free trade between the US and Canada.

Apparently, we would prefer to trade with China!  :-/

Dave