a useful thing is a specialized editor for gcode that can operate on selected
sections of code.  one of the editor's operations is to take a gcode selection,
and within a tolerance from the original code, produce a more compact chunk of
code.  the millions of lines of 3d g1 moves are turned into about an order of
magnitude shorter chunk consisting of linear and helical interpolations in all
three planes.  other handy editing features are scaling, rotating, and creating
arrays from selected chunks of gcode into new gcode chunks.  ..offsetting tool
paths, sweeping a selected path along another (think of moulding trim, or
extrusions)..