On 20 April 2012 11:51, Michael Haberler <mai...@mah.priv.at> wrote:
>  'queue' is a bit of a misnomer - these are basically ad-hoc polylines
> extending beyond a single gcode line to retain history,

It seems I might have been misunderstanding how LinuxCNC works. I
thought that the G-code was interpreted into a queue of moves, and
that in some situations the entire program might be in the queue (this
was something mentioned in the "why touch off while paused is hard"
document).

Looking through the code I have seen sections that appear to convert
all moves into a queue of time-step by time-step position requests in
the real-time layer. Perhaps I have been making unwarranted
assumptions about the upstream code.

Would it be possible to give a precis of how LinuxCNC works, perhaps
pointing out which code module each section of processing occurs in,
and distinguishing which parts are realtime and which are userland?

I have tried to follow it, but got caught in a maze of classes all alike...

--
atp
The idea that there is no such thing as objective truth is, quite simply, wrong.