On Saturday, April 21, 2012 01:27:51 AM Kirk Wallace did opine:

> On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 21:24 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Friday, April 20, 2012 09:19:33 PM gene heskett did opine:
> > > On Friday, April 20, 2012 05:40:00 PM Dave Caroline did opine:

> > > It sure as heck doesn't agree with the .pdf, the 4186.pdf from STE
> > > that his first URL gave me on a family of bugs including the bd140.
> > >  No idea if the mail server will pass it, but that 79KiB file is
> > > attached.

> > The list moderator rejected the message, so go to the STE site and
> > search for your own copy of 4186.pdf.  It should prove my point, that
> > the basing Viesturs used to build his circuit is wrong.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> I'm just getting into the middle of this thread, but if I recall, the
> last time we visited this circuit we found two sets of datasheets for
> the same device with different pin outs. Maybe a multimeter could sort
> out the pins.

Oh, loverly.  Yes, ID'ing the base is easy, it will have one Vbe (nominally
0.6 volts) of diode drop to the other two legs.  But then which of the
other two are emitter and collector?  Since those show the base on
different pins, I'd have to assume that which ever drawing shows the base
on the correct pin as (probably) the correct device basing.  In that event,
measuring from the metal surface on the back of the device to see which leg
it is less than 2 ohms to, would do a pretty god job of identifying the
collector.  The remaining leg then, by the process of elimination, is the
emitter.

Bear in mind I have actually seen devices that were claimed to be
replacements for the OEM part number, that have had different base pinouts!

Everybody has to have a gimmick...

Cheers Kent, Gene
Time as he grows old teaches all things.
                -- Aeschylus