On Saturday, April 21, 2012 05:06:04 PM Jon Elson did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> >  But then which of the
> >
> > other two are emitter and collector?
>
> This can usually be done with a DVM with diode test.  Connect the
> meter between C and E, and then connect a resistor, like 22K Ohm
> between base and the suspected collector.  Note the meter reading.
> If it is about 0.6 V, you got it on the first try.  If not, reverse the
> C and E leads and repeat.  Whichever way gives a markedly
> lower voltage reading has the transistor connected right, and
> the minus probe is on the emitter for NPN or collector for
> PNP.
>
> Jon

Also correct Jon.  But those results can, depending on the DVM, be a bit
ambiguous.  Verify that ones DVM works similar to this with a known good
transistor.  Those meters that only output something under a volt, may or
may not work exactly, but they will be consistent for that meter.  I like
the open circuit voltage to be something above a volt as this 'gain test'
is much more obvious.  I had a Beckman/Waveteck at the tv station that only
made about .85 volts at the probe tips, so that one took some getting used
to & needed about a 10k resistor. 22k just barely came in range on most
bugs.

Cheers, Gene
Be wary of strong drink.  It can make you shoot at tax collectors and miss.
                -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"