On 5/4/2012 10:41 PM, gene heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> As I read the hal manuals getting started section, where the keywords
> loadrt, setp, addf, and net are defined, I didn't understand at first that
> arg[3], arg[4] arg[5] etc of a "net" commend can be repeated to add sending
> something from arg[2] to more than one load.  But I can't name a previously
> used output and send it to the 2nd place it needs to go.  Its s show
> stopper error.
>
> Is this intentional, or do I likely have a deeper miss-understanding?
>
> What I am trying to do is incorporate the
> "Closed_Loop_Spindle_Speed_Control" hal bits&  pieces into an existing hal
> file that already controls the speed just fine from the gui or in an .ngc
> program.  The existing speed control however isn't that 'stiff' down at the
> ranges one uses for threading, so the speed control needs more low speed
> gain.
>
> I am assuming of course that the 'net' is arg[0] for that line of hal, and
> that the next argument, arg[1] is an arbitrary name for the 'net' signal,
> arg[2] then is the source of the signal or data, arg[3] is the first of a
> list of places to send that signal.  No mention of a "fanout" limit if
> there is one.
Gene:

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking here. I'm a tad confused
by the arg[x] notation.

"But I can't name a previously used output and send it to the 2nd place
it needs to go."  - huh?

Look at:
     net sig1 someout somein
     net sig1 someotherin

Here I've connected the output pin "someout" to both "somein" and
"someotherin" input pins using the signal "sig1". Is this what you mean?

net connects a signal with one or more pins. It is nearly irresistible
not to think of electrical networks, but we're talking software here.
Simplistically a pin defines a memory location and the pin's sex---in,
out, bi---is defined by whether the content of the memory location is
written internally by its component or externally by copying the content
of some other location through the magic of hal. There is no fanout
limit in any practical sense.

I'm still uncomfortable with the notion of bidirectional pins. Try
putting together all the lines of text that mention them and see if you
get a complete explanation. I keep feeling there's a bit of chicanery
here but I guess I can live with it.

That's the way I see it. If I'm wrong, then I'm sure I'll be swiftly
corrected:-)

Regards,
Kent