On 05/09/2012 11:28 AM, Eric Keller wrote:
> The embroidery machines are probably the best case given that they are
> often like CNC machines.
>
> My mother has a large number of industrial sewing machines which have
> been converted to single phase.  Most of them seem to have originally
> used 3 phase induction motors.  I have never seen one with the three
> phase running, but I got the impression that the motors are on all the
> time at constant speed.  I did collect one of the 3 phase motors when
> her house was flooded in the 2010 Nashville floods, but other than
> drying it out, I haven't tried to get it running yet.
>
> I suspect it would be worth scavenging these motors if they would be
> willing to sell.  Can't imagine they wouldn't be interested.
> Eric

   In a few weeks, I should be able to get a couple more for free.  I'm
disabled, so, with getting 3 motors for free, the cost of the
electronics is more of an issue.

   From what I can find online, for 3 axis, it'll cost ~ $1000.00 for
the electronics, plus PSU, enclosure, cabling, etc... etc... etc...
Although, spreading it out over a year, or more, will make it a little
easier to bear.

   X, and Z don't need such a large motor.  Z won't matter so much,
because the mass of the head will support it fairly well, but sticking
~20 lbs on the end of X, may distort the axis over time.  I'm have an
idea that I can mount the motor underneath the mill, and have it ride
along with Y, fix the X axis leadscrew in place, and spin the nut to
move the X axis back and forth.

   Looking at other servo system motor/controller combos, they can go
for a few hundred, up to a thousand, or more, per axis, so I should be
well within the ballpark.

   I can use the old electronics leftover from the mill conversion, to
CNC my mini lathe, which is something I've been wanting to do for awhile.

--
-Mark

Ne M'oubliez   ---Family Motto
Hope for the best, plan for the worst   ---Personal Motto