I don't want to start a war with this BUT almost all the these opinions are
done by people with the desire to buy new machines or sell new machines.
Over one half the machines in my two shops were purchased new. The new
machines are no faster or productive than new machines. In fact, last
Friday I talked with a shop about doing some work for them because they are
unable to cut some parts efficiently on their NEW machines. I will put the
parts on one of my old machines and take about 60% of the time out of them
and make better parts.
You can buy new or used, how you use them is the critical issue.
Again - having some fun now
Stuart

On Sunday, May 13, 2012, Stephen Dubovsky wrote:

> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 3:45 AM, Viesturs Lācis
> <viesturs.la...@gmail.com<javascript:;>
> >wrote:
>
> > LinuxCNC is advanced enough that the functionality of the retrofitted
> > machine will totally match capabilities of brand new machine.
> >

> LinuxCNC isn't the problem.  The old iron is.  And it has nothing to do w/
> the condition of old iron.  Its the SPEED.  Time is money.
>
> Say you're making a million dollars annually on a machine.  Even a mere 20%
> increase will pay for a $200k new machine the first year.  You can see why
> it can be easy for a big shop to justify new million dollar VMCs.  Add in
> the depreciation schedule, pay of operators to run each machine, floor
> space costs/limits, faster job turnaround time, etc and it the benefits of
> new/better/faster can add up really fast to some companies.
>
> I once read an analysis about pick and place machines for board assembly
> manufacturers.  If the DIDNT replace their machines every X years (due to
> speed/quality/reliability increases) they were loosing money.  I don't
> remember exactly but X was a surprisingly short time.  Moore's law is a
> bitch;)

dos centavos