Stuart Stevenson wrote:
> I had two MHP machines. MHP = M(oog) H(ydra) P(oint)
> They ran gcode just like any NC/CNC machine. Each linear axis had two
> cylinders opposing one another. A hydraulic servo valve released pressure
> from one or another cylinder to allow the table to move away from the high
> pressure side.
> The positioning was high resolution Heidenhain glass scales.

OK, that was a much later version.  There was an original one that had a
pneumatic encoder,
holes in one plate lined up with tubes in another plate to encode
position pneumatically.
And, I'm pretty sure it wasn't able to execute G-code.  Moog made a
number of versions
of the hydra-point control.
> Large hydraulic pump beside the machine.
> Very smooth, very accurate, howling, oily mess.

Yeah, hydraulics is certainly old-school.  Inefficient, noisy and messy.

Jon