Dave Caroline wrote:
> I think most people looking at idler rotary converters dont actually
> scope the phases
> I only came across one site stating the obvious
>
> given the basic diagram of
>
> 120 ac  to motor P1 and output phase L1
> neutral--nc
> 120 ac   to motor P3 and output phase L3
> Capacitor P1 to P2 and to output phase L2
>
> will notice the 180 deg phase of the two 120 lines are connected directly
> to L1 and L3 so that is at 180 degrees not the 120 it should be.

First, you should forget the mains neutral.  This terminal has no
meaning for the generated
3-phase system, and just causes confusion.  If the motor has a center
tap, you can use
that as the reference for the 3 phases.  But, on John Thornton's machine
he is trying
to power a big DC supply, so there is no reference available, unless he
can get it
from his idler motor.

Jon