The eps file is vector graphics, it can generate as fine detail as
you need.

   When I used GIMP to output to .JPG I got very good resolution, but I
had to ask for it.
Try this:

 1. Right click on the .eps file.
 2. Click on "Open with".
 3. Click on GIMP.
 4. The dialog "Import from PostScript" will default to Resolution: 100
    (I believe this is DPI), change it to 600 (or if you have enough
    RAM, 1200
 5. Set the "Width:" to your resolution times 8.5 (assuming 8.5 by 11 paper)
 6. Set the "Height:" to your resolution times 11.  I did 600, 8000,
    8000 and it took about 2 minutes to import.
 7. Set it to B/W, or, if you want anti aliasing, set it to Gray.
 8. Once imported, you can zoom in and see very good detail.
 9. Save it as .jpg or as .png, or if you can get GIMP to behave while
    printing, print it directly

   One hint, try starting at 150 DPI, this should go quickly and you can
zoom in to see the detail (or lack thereof). You probably won't want to
save this one.
   Then try importing at 300 DPI, and look at the detail, remembering
that the time will probably increase with the square of the resolution.
It quickly becomes long, but you'll probably want a resolution that will
take minutes to import, and 1/2 minutes for each step in zooming in.