From: Eric H. Johnson <ejohn...@camalytics.com>
To: 'Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)' <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] quick boot

On 6/12/2012 12:16 PM, Stuart Stevenson wrote:
>> Gentlemen,
>>    What would it take to headless boot LinuxCNC in 3 seconds?
>> thanks
>> Stuart
>>
> This article is almost 4 years old but it's got some good hints about fast
booting.
> http://lwn.net/Articles/299483/

>It points out a cool tool name BootChart that helps identify the
bottlenecks. http://www.bootchart.org/

I still don't know about getting down to 3 seconds, but in addition to what
that article says, you can also try:

1> Set BIOS to quick boot, bypass POST, etc.
2> In BIOS set boot drive as first device in boot order.
3> Use a SATA SSD.
4> Use as much memory as the mother board will accommodate.
5> Use Xubuntu instead of ubuntu (Use Linuxcnc install script).
6> Play with grub boot parameters (i.e. remove "quiet splash").
7> Map log files to null or RAM (see:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Install_To_CompactFlash)
8> Uninstall any unnecessary applications.
9> Use "bum" (boot-up manager) to remove unnecessary services.

Regards,
Eric