On 12 June 2012 18:31, Stuart Stevenson <stus...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  This exploration project is to find out if LinuxCNC would be a good base
> for an automotive engine control.

It could probably be done, but I think there are probably more
appropriate platforms.

I know that someone uses Ford EEC-IV modules as a data logger
platform, and from what I saw of it the compiler was moderately
conventional.
Using one for its intended use would probably be easier.

I think the problem with using LinuxCNC would be that there are only
three fixed-period threads available, whereas vehicle ECUs tend to
trigger various tasks at certain points in the crank revolution.
(though there are 10mS and 100mS threads too for the less
time-critical processes like sensor linearisation.)

It might be easier still to just buy an open module from Emerald or similar.
http://www.emeraldm3d.com/

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.