Mark Cason wrote:

>    Modern fuel injectors, are basically mini electric fuel pumps, and
> run non-stop.  They run off of a PWM signal, which is altered, based  on
> what the Oxygen (O2) sensors, and the Mass AirFlow sensor (MAF), are
> telling it.  On every 4 cylinder engine that I've worked on (Esp. from
> the 90's), all the fuel injector operated off of the same PWM signal,
> which simplified things considerably.  The main proponent for doing it
> that way, is that O2 sensors can only tell that the exhaust stream is
> running either lean, or rich.  They can't really tell WHICH cylinder is
> causing the problem.

I ran the full internal diagnostic scan on a Ford 6-cyl engine some
years ago, and was amazed
at the built-in diagnositcs of the system.  That car had separate
injection for each cylinder,
and so they cut off one cylinder at a time to check injector balance
(reading RPM dip and
oxygen sensor changes), and then cut off one bank at a time to check
variations between
the Oxygen sensors.  It was quite cool!  Yes, a number of 4-cyl engines
do things a
bit simpler to save ECU hardware.

Jon