On Thu, 2012-06-28 at 10:50 -0400, John Stewart wrote:
> I don't remember being that impressed with their x/y speeds

They tend to produce better results below 30 mm/s, mostly because the
stock firmware doesn't use any acceleration limiting at all, and I've
seen some down around 10 mm/s near my Sherline's limit.

Using firmware that applies acceleration limiting helps with the
non-printing moves, but the plywood-and-acrylic frame isn't rigid enough
to print accurately much above 40 mm/s. The dreadfully heavy custom
build platform in my TOM requires a rather low acceleration, but even
the stock platform isn't a real featherweight...

--
Ed
http://softsolder.com