Kirk Wallace wrote:
> Just in case, one of my Pico PWM amps needed to be modified to run a
> motor continuously. The large motor output filter inductors would
> overheat fairly quickly. This isn't a problem for axis motors that
> usually are not on for very long. Jon suggested removing the motor
> output capacitors. I'm not sure what happens with EMI with these
> capacitors removed, but it does allow the amp to work with a spindle
> application. Newer amps may not have this problem.

A long time ago I reduced the value of these capacitors (C14 and C15,
right next
to the motor power connector) to get rid of this heating problem.  I
might end up
reducing the value again by a small step.  The worst case is where the PWM
duty cycle is 50%, then the inductor sees a triangle wave current at 50 KHz.
This would be the case where the motor is running at about 50% of the DC
supply voltage.

Jon