Steve Blackmore wrote:
> Hi Jon - encoders here are only 90 and 120 ppr respectively as they are
> connected via parallel port as I had problems with higher value encoders
> being read reliably at anything more than a thousand revs or so.
>
> It almost seems that every time it gets an encoder pulse it gives the Z
> axis a kick. The faster you go the less noticeable it is, but at slow
> speeds it's poor and sounds like what Gene described.

OK, my Bridgeport encoder would be called an 81 PPR encoder, as there
are 81 teeth
on the gear.  And, it works fine.  I am using a hardware encoder counter
with it, but if
the signals are properly being read by the parallel port, it SHOULD work
well.
So, there is something wrong there, but I can't tell what at this distance.

Yes, software counting has severe limits on the count rate.  Well, 120
PPR is 480 counts/rev
in quadrature counting all transitions, and 1000 RPM is 16.67 revs/sec.
So, that
is 8000 counts/second.  Depending on the BASE_PERIOD, this could already be
a problem.

Jon