On 7/24/2012 9:17 AM, Ralph Stirling wrote:
> I don't think it's that simple, Kent.  I do not recall
> having any realtime delays or errors when I was
> using a USB microscope camera on a D510MO with
> LinuxCNC.  My experience may not be of much
> value, though, as I was using a 7I43 with hardware
> step generation, so I only had a servo thread.
>
> For people needing to use USB devices with LinuxCNC,
> an FPGA device like 7I43 or 5I25 would be a good $80
> investment to eliminate the base thread.
>
> -- Ralph

Ralph:

I never said it was simple :-)

Since the device itself must request DMA service, two USB cameras or
what-evers may behave entirely differently with respect to upsetting the
real-time applecart if one uses DMA to transfer its data and the other not.

I said certain devices *likely* would be bad choices, but so far it
doesn't appear to me that one can tell for sure except by trying a
desired device in service. I'd be happy to have my conjecture proven wrong.

I certainly don't think this is an issue just for Intel Atom-equipped
motherboards, whether Intel or some other brand (fer instance, instead
of an Intel D510 I have an ASUS AT5NM10-I that I'm pleased with; it's
the one in the latency-test results table on the wiki). I suppose it
might be more of an issue with certain BIOSes.

Again, I'd be happy to be proven wrong. So far, all I see are individual
"it (works | doesn't work) for my lashup" messages. Too little
information to make an engineering judgment.

Regards,
Kent