On 07/24/2012 07:08 AM, Kent A. Reed wrote:
> Any thoughts?
   From what I've seen looking into USB 2.0 device programming, the
transfers are too quick for most (maybe all) microcontrollers to keep up
with in software, so you are generally tied to DMA transfers on the
microcontroller side.  FTDI has some chips that eliminate the DMA issue
for the programmer, but they may do DMA internally.

   There is a mode called 'isosynchronus' where a peripheral negotiates
a certain amount of transfer for every time USB transfers data.  This
mode can be used for more reliable data streams.  I suspect that a high
bandwidth peripheral that has a USB port all to itself will not be as
problematic as one that contends with a mouse and keyboard for the port.

   I also suspect that the USB connection has a certain period between
communication events.  A base period that gets lots of real time errors
from contention with USB*/may/* have much less problems with both faster
and slower base periods.

   Perhaps when documenting what works, and what doesn't, it would make
sense to keep track of:

1:    USB 1.1 or USB 2.0
2:    What is the device?
3:    Does it have the port to itself?
4:    Is a hub being used?  A hub may complicate the timing.
5:    The appropriate part of the log files.