> Although I don't have any inside information, I believe the reason
> DIY
> 3D printers have (or don't have) specific features is that most of
> the
> original patents remain in effect.

Patent in US has only 15 years life. I have US patent personally on my
name - not through any company etc.
I can write patent application to US PTO my self and pay only standard
fee.
In special case -like pharmacy drug patent life can go up to 18 years.
That is all.

All those patent that you refer are too old and antiquated.
  Every manufacturing company incorporate in there product 2 parts. Part
1- is what customer need and willing to pay. Part 2 is add things that
only increase price -costumer does not need that at all - and can not be
option out.
About " waffle iron " i think that all EMC2 is people that do just
that. Do thing that other think impossible.