2012/8/11  <a...@conceptmachinery.com>:
> Hi
> In emc2 when loading program, it is hard to delete program out.
> number of program will increase and clog those small place icon that
> shows available programs.
> to delete need --type - in exact -- name of file etc
> Why not to make delete of file --simple -- to final user?
> How -- click on it --and --DELETE.
> Need to remember that final user/users of EMC2 are machinist - and not
> LINUX software Engineer.

I know that You are here on this list for a while now. You have been
using Ubuntu and LinuxCNC, so I am really wondering, how hard is it to
come up with a thought that it is much easier to delete old and
unnecessary files in the moment, when the nc_files directory (or
whatever place You store the files in) is open in the file manager
program (most probably - nautilus) as You copy the new g-code files in
than doing it in some small "open file" window?
Add new files and remove the old ones at once. And in Nautilus You can
select numerous files at a time and delete them quicker than selecting
them one by one in "open file" dialog window.

LinuxCNC is not guilty for curved hands of its user.
Damn, it is so obvious even for 5th grader (which is really far from
Linux software engineer) and yet there is somebody to whine about
that.

Having a bad day and now You need something/somebody to help You get
the steam off?

> Do you have video on YouTube to show your success of putting EMC2 on
> commercial CNC machine? How controller look - monitor, key board and
> mouse?

There are more than few guys here on the list that earn their living
with building and/or retrofitting cnc machines. I would add myself to
that group. And since they hang out on this mailing list, it means
that they use [also] LinuxCNC.
Here You can see some videos with the welding robot I built. The
control cabinet also is shown in some places:
http://www.youtube.com/user/viestartss/videos

> How many commercial CNC machines and machine shops in whole country use
> EMC2?
> Any idea?

You already have been told that it is not possible to find that out,
the only numbers You will get will be some guesstimates.

And regarding the question of how to earn money with LinuxCNC, I have
seen only 2 things that will lead to payment from client into my bank
account:
1) add some additional value to their machine:
whenever I get a job for retrofitting existing machine, I make it
"better" than it is. Either the machine becomes more stable and
reliable, more convenient to use thus providing time savings to client
which translates in increased productivity, or I add some new
capabilities which expand the usefulness of the machine. For example,
I did a plasma table retrofit. I got that job because client was not
able to get 2 different THC sensors to work together with their
existing controls. LinuxCNC handles that with ease after I modified
thc module, so that was the part of the whole deal that allowed me to
get that job and earn something.

2) save the cost for the client:
learn LinuxCNC and mechanical things good enough that You can build
simple machine faster and cheaper (by knowing better sources of
different parts - motors, drives etc) than client would do it by
themselves, thus they would get the machine sooner and start producing
their things faster thus generating cash flow and that is what people
are willing to pay for;

Or even better - win Your competition and combine both of these things
together (but then the first point is compared against the offer of
Your competitors, not their existing machine). That is what I did with
the machine I am currently building. I was able to make it faster and
designed it in a way that it takes 40% less space in their premises.
And I am pretty happy about the competitor's price as I managed to

Ok, I have to admit that not everything is going smooth, I already am
over the deadline and the machine is not yet ready, but client visited
my last week to check on my progress and they already are willing to
talk about the next machine they need...

The conclusion is that LinuxCNC itself will not earn any money to
anyone, it is the effort and time for integration it in existing or
yet-to-be-built machine that client is paying for. It is the overall
result and total solution provided to client that it is paying for.
Creating new configs with all sorts of stuff in HAL, adjusting
kinematics modules, customizing HAL components, creating VCP panels -
all that is part of my effort to provide customer with machine they
need and that is what they are paying for - LinuxCNC adjusted for
their particular needs. That takes me as an integrator to post
questions here on mailing list, when I do not know, how to handle
particular issue, read manuals, search wiki, so that the "End user"
can simply use the machine, not knowing, what exactly is he/she
actually working with.

Your described situation, when:
1) "End user" needs to know command-line and be Linux software engineer;
2) "End user" needs to RTFM just to get the machine going;
Means only one thing:
You as an integrator have not done Your job properly. Either when
machine was built/retrofitted or when it was time to provide support
to Your customer.

--
Viesturs

If you can't fix it, you don't own it.