On Monday 24 September 2012 11:46:06 Steve Stallings did opine:

> Gene,
>
> It looks like he used a crucible lifter to do the
> pour. The lifter is normally used to place the hot
> crucible into a pouring holder that makes it easier
> to tip the crucible by twisting a shank from the
> side instead of holding it from above. For examples
> see:
>
> http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/Tongs-Shanks.php
>
> Steve Stallings

What we had there was similar to the S2 version pictured, but the crucible
was permanently attached, so none of the retainer stuff I see there was
present.

Pretty primitive IOW.  But I never saw one burn through the clay coat, even
if the guy set his ladle full on the floor while doing a multiple ladle
pour.  No one mentioned it as a possibility either.  Doing planter plates,
mine sometimes had hot iron in it for about 15 minutes if I had 90 molds to
fill.

The guy doing Maytag gear cases alternated top and bottom halves, and often
poured over 50 pairs.  No fat on him at all, and no wasted motion, he had
that down so well he could do it in his sleep.  And they had up to 6
bearing pockets and vent plugs to be properly placed in each half too.

Cheers, Gene
Every time you manage to close the door on Reality, it comes in through the
window.