2012/10/29 John Stewart <alex.stew...@crc.ca>

> Hi all;
>
> On 2012-10-29, at 11:14 AM, Sven Wesley wrote:
>
> >> I think I'll order that Mini ITX board at the same time.
> > For the record, I ordered two ITX boards. Better safe than sorry. ;)
>

> I just got my 2nd Intel D525MW board last Friday; it took about a month to
> come in to my local store.
>
> What was the name of the "Rock" board, or the "Asus" board that is similar?
>
> BTW Gene - the Intel D525MW has a PCI slot on it, so the Mesa 5i25 should
> fit, the PCI-e slot is not the same as the Mesa 6i25.
>
> John Alexander Stewart

John, what's your latency?

I installed the boards and actually it's a bit disappointing. I installed
one to my wife's office to replace an old Dell, and watching a video clip
on Vimeo doesn't simply work, it lags and flickers pretty heavily. Even
worse; Ubuntu 12.10 doesn't recognize the graphics and it goes black screen
with 64bit and ends up with half the screen size in 32bit! I was hacking
around with xrandr to get it a decent display and never got it running well
(The board is configured as a laptop by Ubuntu, no wonder it's mostly
laptop harware. But why on earth is a second non existing display
configured?..). Ubuntu 10 installs fine and finds the correct resolution
right away but the heavy lag is still there. My LTS support towards Ubuntu
is on the edge now...

I installed LinuxCNC on my board and ran latency tests and it was quite
easy to ramp it up to 14 250 ns. That's worse than my existing
configuration at the reconfigured PC that's in use now that this thread
from the beginning was about. I also made the remote X tests as discussed
earlier in this thread and then the PC maxed out at 9 920 ns.

4 GB high quality RAM
60 GB SSD super fast disc
Hyper threading disabled/enabled tested
isolcpu=1