On Monday 05 November 2012 14:14:57 Przemek Klosowski did opine:

> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Ralph Stirling <
>
> ralph.stirl...@wallawalla.edu> wrote:
> > The big problem I've had with trying to put RPi's inside control
> > cabinets is that they *really* don't like to be powered off at
> > arbitrary times without a proper "shutdown -h now".  Less than
> > a half-dozen power cycles and the SD card was corrupted.
>
> There are ways to mount the root disk read-only, with a small ramdisk
> for temp files. There's even a way to  layer a ramdisk over a readonly
> primary disk, where the ramdisk only holds the changing bits. You gain
> robustness---the boot always starts from the same pristine image, and
> nothing is ever written to the primary SD storage; no shutdown is
> required. You loose modifiability: no changes are ever recorded on the
> persistent SD storage.

I don't think you have to loose the modifiability.  dd-wrt has been booting
from compact flash with multiple "partitions" for several years.  The main
boot is read-only of course, but the optional config info, is written to a
read/write partition that generally might get written to several times at
initial configuration time by mounting it r/w to write to it, then is
remounted read-only, usually for life.  Added iptables rules, network setup
info is all protected.  I have never had a power cycle of any kind
including me pulling the power cord from the wall plug contaminate it even
when using it on an old x86 box with a CF adapter on the end of an IDE
drive cable.  I see no reason why the RPi can't do much the same thing.

Cheers, Gene
When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping.