2012/11/5 andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>:
> On 5 November 2012 19:10, Sven Wesley <svenne.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> @Andy, why is it difficult and why is it the wrong problem? I clearly
>> measure a performance boost running the controller PC headless.
>> Would it be easier and cheaper to order a Mesa board? No.
>
> It won't be cheaper _and_ easier, but it could well be easier and more
> expensive.

Are You serious?!? How is a setup of 2 PCs - one for LinuxCNC with
software step generation and other of graphical frontend - more easy
than simply adding an FPGA card either to LPT port or in PCI slot? And
how is it easier to configure such a double-PC system than take a
sample config in LinuxCNC and adjust some lines to fit particular
machine?
And where do You get whole PC (MB + RAM + HDD + PSU) for less than 100
EUR (based on 5i25 price, provided by Andy)?

IMHO any attempts to combine 2 PCs, when adding an FPGA card is not
even considered, certainly is way more difficult way to solve wrong
problem. It not only adds a whole layer of complexity to overall
system, it also does not introduce any additional functionality. Using
FPGA card adds new features (way more I/O bits, pwmgens, stepgens and
encoder modules can handle much higher pulse frequencies etc.) and
IMHO does not make the system significantly more complex.
Generally using FPGA card certainly is easier _and_ cheaper. Try it
for Yourself :)

--
Viesturs

If you can't fix it, you don't own it.