I know that the big commercial machine I interacted with at my previous job
would run over diamond plate and run it's head up and down to maintain the
distance from the surface without actually touching the surface.  I'm
guessing it had to do with it's current/voltage sensing feedback.  I did
not follow the THC module that the guys here were working on years ago, I'd
bet those threads have alot of info regarding the subject, how it works and
how to implement it. I would think that just riding the surface on a
floating head would be rather stressful to the mechanisms involved.  Then
again I doubt you'll want your machine to be running every possible second
it can, 10 hours a day 5 days a week.

Jim