While I agree that a hall sensor would be a better choice, I believe reed
switches can be quite reliable as they have seen use as sensors for bicycle
speedometers for some time.

"Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is
either a madman or an economist."

        -Kenneth Boulding, economist