I reverse laser engrave legend plates, device labels, operator panels
and sometimes prototype membrane switches.  I've also done front surface
engraving.  I assume that's what you're doing on these switches.  The
big problem with that is that fingers activating the switches will erode
the paint from a front engraving.

If you're stuck with front surface engraving, then I'd engrave deeply
and use a lot of paint, or several layers of paint and several layers of
clear coat on top.  Another trick that can work well is to use a liquid
paint instead of a rattle can of spray paint, fill the deeply engraved
letters with it rather than using several coats of spray paint, and use
a solvent to remove the excess paint from the top surface of the key
cap.  Make sure the solvent is compatible with the key cap plastic.  Or,
let the paint dry thoroughly and mechanically remove it from the top of
the key cap so it only remains in the engraved letters.  Fine sandpaper
or ScotchBrite works well for this.  If you want a glossy surface
instead of the brushed finish you'd get with unidirectional sanding or
the matte finish you'd get from random sanding, you can finish with 600
grit paper and then Micromesh or Abralon (1200-1500 grit foam backed
ultra-fine sandpaper).

I have an EFD-1500 electronic fluid dispenser that I've used with a very
fine gauge needle on the syringe to dispense paint into engraving.  It
helps to use a lighted magnifier, have a steady rest for your hand, and
go easy on the caffeine for this delicate operation, but the paint wicks
well and fills the engraved letters with no mess on the unengraved top.
Model paint from a hobby shop might work well for this.  Fingernail
polish might work too.

For engraving jobs with large and simple fonts, there are paint sticks
that look somewhat like felt tip markers.  They dispense paint instead
of ink, so they fill the engraving well and the paint is fairly opaque.

You might have some luck putting tape over the top surface, engraving
it, spray painting it, allow the paint to dry and then remove the tape
which served as a spray shield.  This would probably work a lot better
for laser engraving rather than rotary engraving with a small cutting bit.

There is typically better coverage with a good brand of paint like the
Krylon that you're using because there is apparently more pigment in the
paint, and the solvent in the better brands of paint seems less likely
to orange peel when applied to plastic than the 99 cent el-cheapo
paint.  I used some black spray paint recently from a major
manufacturer, probably purchased at Lowe's, that advertised twice the
coverage.  It was marketed as something like "ultra coverage" or "ultra
coat".  That might help your translucency problem.

I hope you bought extra buttons for a little trial and error.  This
one-off prototype stuff usually involves some waste.

I recently got in a hurry and accidentally had the laser cut about half
an inch off the edge of the $32 ultra scratch resistant polycarbonate
sheet that I was reverse engraving for the top of the tool rack for my
soon-to-be-CNC milling machine.  Then I decided to try to front surface
engrave the HDPE substrate even though I knew that was unlikely.  Sure
enough, the material didn't engrave well and required five passes to get
the engraving depth I wanted.  Then the paint wouldn't stick to the waxy
surface, chipped and flaked out, and looked awful.  I bought another $32
sheet of polycarbonate and laser engraved it the night before last,
painted it yesterday, and I'm going to epoxy it to the HDPE substrate.
Hopefully the two square feet of surface area will provide a strong
enough epoxy bond, even on the HDPE.  If not, I'll use countersunk flat
head screws... or I'll use PVC for the 3/4" thick substrate.  I'll test
the bond strength with the botched piece of polycarbonate and a scrap of
HDPE first.  I don't want to buy a third sheet of $32 plastic!  Oh, the
joys of prototypes and one-off custom work.

Good luck!