2012/12/14 andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>

> I have designed three alternatives.
> They all use bearings that I know I can get, rather than bizarre exotica.
> The first idea is:
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/EqgIdXH-kCH8I90oYKfm2dMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
> This actually uses a car wheel bearing, which is angular-contact and
> has adjustable preload.
> The preload is adjusted by the orange threaded collar. The pulley
> screws on and in doing so it clamps the outer race. Clearly some means
> is needed to stop it unscrewing again.
> I am not sure I have the available length for this design, though.
>
> The next alternative is more conventional, and uses a double-row
> angular-contact bearing (3809). This bearing is not adjustable, and
> looks like it would be a lot less stiff than the first one.
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DELJ44ystXfa1HavUrYFmtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
> This requires a more complex casting shape to get the belt into place,
> and a separate end cover. It also puts the bearing a long way from the
> belt tension load.
>
> The third design uses the second bearing again, but in a better place.
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/X9ZXwL-oMXpF9cc6wAIbQNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
> This design is growing on me, the only problem being that I can't
> quite see how to retain the bearing outer race in the casting. It has
> a nice direct drive from the belt to the ballnut.
>
> I think the first option looks like the best, if it can fit. For
> reference I have a 40mm OD on the ballnut and a 76mm diameter hole
> 90mm deep in the machine bed. This means the protrusion to the left of
> the casting in the pictures has to be shorter than 90mm and less than
> 75mm dia.

Andy, you might want to take a look at my design
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7208/screenshot20121214c.png
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7208/screenshot20121214c.png
The green part is a hollow shaft, there are two angular contact roller
bearings, preload is adjusted by two nuts
I had to cut the timing pulley on the hollow shaft, and consider many other
limitations to keep it small as a part of a joint.
But I tried to keep it as simple as possible.

Regards,
Andrew