Gentlemen,
let me explain why this translation business is so complicated. I have
translated novels from English to German years ago (for earning money)
and l know what I'm talking about. I have also translated a couple
hundred sentences of EMC code some months ago (and never seen any of
them appear in donwloadable software).

First of all, forget all that computer translating business. What comes
out of these programs is barely understandable, and only if you already
know what the English text  meant in the first place. Most of the times
automatic translations are simply ridiculous. You can test this for
yourselves by re-translating the translated nonsense into English.

Secondly, LinuxCNC documentation are not crime stories or love novels.
Every single word of the docs may have a very specific meaning and may
be of importance, which is not true with ordinary prose. This especially
true when translating text that appears in screen forms, man pages or
error messages. This means that as a translator you must first define an
exact vocabulary where every english word is correlated to one and only
one counterpart. This is sometimes very difficult because English words
may be ambigous. Often it happens that for the sake of exactness you
must correct sloppy definitions in the English text or find out what the
author really wanted to express before you write down the first
sentence. This all makes technical translations rather tedious. There is
a good reason why large companies, selling consumer goods to foreign
countries, have a special staff for creating instruction sheets for
these languages.

Thirdly, now speaking mainly for Germany, everybody learns English at
school, even in elementary school. German and English are of the same
origin and have somewhat similar structure and wording. This makes it
easy for Germans to learn English, easier than, say, Turkish (which is
the second most spoken language in Germany).  English has become the
language of electronics, computing and the internet as well as of the
song and music business. It has become a widely known language here and
so there is little need for translation of specific documentation into
German. This is not true, however, for program text and error messages.

Fourth, LinuxCNC is developing rapidly. Who can keep up translating all
the docs, knowing that not even the English versions are completely up
to date? It would be a Sisyphos task and this discourages people, me for
instance. There are chances that my translation is not even read once
before it has to be replaced.

Fifth, considering the fact that LinuxCNC has apparently turned into a
widely commercially used system in the US (I can tell from the mail
group threads) which cannot work in Germany, there are not many serious
users hereabouts. I would doubt that there are any others than
hobbyists. It's unlikely that one of these few will take the effort and
translate manuals - he'd rather stick with the English text and put his
efforts on getting LinuxCNC to run.

Greetings from white Germany

Peter