From: Thomas J Powderly <tomp4...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 15:13:49
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)<emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] linear scales Heidenhain

On 12/13/2012 02:07 PM, jean-paul coninx wrote:
> Dear Viesturs,
>

> Thanks for your reply. I m sure that these linear scales from Heidenhain in
> combination with a Heidenhain controller
> have a analog output. I also know that some of the Maho mills (from few year
> later) have a Philips 432 controller. Maybe
> the glass scales in combination with these controller are quadrture !!!!
> I will look for documantation but I m not sure i can help you . I have only a
> general service manual for the Maho  mh 700c
>
> Regards
> j^p
>

>> From: viesturs.la...@gmail.com
>> Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 19:49:44 +0200
>> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] linear scales Heidenhain
>>
>> 2012/12/13 jean-paul coninx<jp....@hotmail.com>:
>>

>>> Dear emc users,
>>>
>>> I am an owner from a maho mhc 700c with a heidenhain tnc 135 controller.
>>> The controller doesn t work any more.
>>> I have read something about retrofitting. The most people use the Mesa
>>> cards in combination with Linuxcnc. For already a few years (no time like
>>> everyone) I a bought a Heidenhain EXE 935 convertor ( 3 axis from sinus
>>> wave to ttl signal) . The moment I bought these EXE 935 the Mesa 7i49 didnt
>>> exist . In my opinion I have two options :
>>>

>>> Mesa 5i20 + Exe 935 + 7i33 and 2 x 7i37TA
>>> Mesa 5i20 + 7i49 + 2 x 737TA
>>>
>>> Which are the advantages or disadvantages to use the EXE 935 ?? I prefer
>>> without (the more I use the more can stop working)
>>>

>> Are You sure that linear scales have analog output?
>> I was offered to do a retrofit of Maho MH400P mill, so few months ago
>> I spent few hours going through a thick file of documentation and I
>> remember that I saw something about quadrature TTL signal. I did not
>> pay that much attention to it, because I was looking for instructions
>> how to remove the cover from hydraulic pump. It needs to be fixed and
>> that is a prerequisite for me to get that job.
>>
>> Is there any chance that You have some useful information about
>> servicing hydraulic pump of Your mill? I suspect that they might be
>> pretty similar.
>>
>> --
>> Viesturs
>>
>> If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
>> http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto

Heidenhain linear scales are of 2 varieties, both analog sinus output
either 11uA p/p (older) or 1V p/p ( newer)
both output 2 out of phase sinus that are 'interpolated' to determine
the numeric value

some have a form of absolute encoding ( Linear Distance Coded), these
have an absolute mark every 2 cm
and homing is facilitated by moving past any 2 marks, yielding an
absolute position without going to extreme end

you can get info from heidenhain's website
on which EXE to use for the scales you have

a heidenhain cnc does not use these EXE's they work directly with the
control

it's 'sorta like a resolver' :)
and EXE boxes are expensive ( i got a set of 4 but i use them :| )
regards
Tomp