> The hardware plan...
>
> I'll start with a stock Makergear M2, which seems to be the most solid
> and well-designed DIY printer currently available. I'd prefer an
> enclosure to stabilize the ambient temperature, but that's basically a
> big box.
>
> Once the stock M2 works well enough, replace its RAMBo controller with
> Mesa 5i25 + 7i76.
>
> The 7i76 has enough robust digital outputs to drive SSRs for heaters and
> whatnot, with HAL components closing the temperature loops. The thermal
> time constants seem long enough to not require high-frequency PWM
> proportional control, which should simplify things.
>
> It also has sufficient digital inputs for home switches, probe contacts,
> and stuff like that.
>
> However, the printer controller also needs multi-channel thermocouple
> inputs, because thermistors seem underqualified for long-term
> measurements at 200+ C. I'd like to use a Mesa 7i87 for analog input,
> but it appears unsupported by the HostMot2 driver:
> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Mesa_Cards

The 7i73 card pendant card has up to 8  0-3.3v analog inputs.
For about $50 it can be added to the 5i25/7i76 combo
I was sure one of the other cars could sense analog as well
 - Peter will surely pipe up.

or I see in the wiki someone added a USB themometer:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ContributedComponents#USB_thermometer_Microdia_TEMPer1V1_2
It's apparently about $15 on the internet:
http://pcsensor.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=7
http://www.pitt-pladdy.com/blog/_20110824-191017_0100_TEMPer_under_Linux_perl_with_Cacti/

I would love to see linuxcnc's horizons be broadened.
It would be nice to such up some more talented people from other projects.
Good luck!

Chris M