On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 18:02:15 -0400, you wrote:

>I wrote my own script to handle the curved surface.  I wrote a custom post
>processor for this as well, it works well enough for the button curve.
>
>I am using the Create Vector tool within vcarve.
>
>This is getting infilled with black enamel, and cleaned once dry with
>Naptha.
>
>I did a number of these with a .015 tip, they plug with plastic and break.
> I suppose a v bit could work, but I think managing the cut width would be
>troublesome.  The way I am doing this currently, the width of the cut is
>the font trace width.  If there was a way to trace .001 on the outside of
>the letter vector, it would work great.

Engraving V bits don't have a point, they cut sloping sided flat
bottomed grooves. VCarve works out the depth of cut for you for the
given stroke width and tool included angle.

Have a look at one of my old pages about them

http://www.pilotltd.net/engraving.htm

They would work fine, if you have a machine capable of doing the
required feeds and speeds.

Do you know anybody with a laser engraver/cutter? That would be far
quicker and should be capable of giving a neat cut you can paint fill in
either stroke width or font outline.

Steve Blackmore